La Chorrera Fortress in Havana. Circa 1940.
Gelatin silver print -19.7 x 25 cm / 7.75 x 9.84 in- with white margins. Simple paper weight matte texture. On the lower right edge photographic registration number.
The tower of Santa Dorotea de la Luna de la Chorrera was part of the Spanish fortifications of the Bay of Havana, built for its protection against the siege of pirates on this coveted city and the exit of the Almendares River. Built in the mid-17th century by Juan Bautista Antonelli, it had a crew of 50 men.
With the imposing stone garrison as a symbolic background, a group of fishermen can be seen on the banks of the Almendares River while some children, protecting themselves from the sun with their hands, curiously observe the manipulations of the photographer in the background the cranes of the port.
This photographic record was probably distributed by the Department of Heritage of Cuba.
|AUTHOR||FOTÓGRAFO NO IDENTIFICADO|