Yellow House Station. Buenos Aires. Circa 1900.
Unusual view of Buenos Aires. Photograph in sepia toned gelatin silver -16.5 x 23.3 cm / 6.5 x 9.17 in- mounted on a white card. Work with minimal marginal breaks that do not affect the image and a small fracture towards the right margin; otherwise in good condition. It is displayed framed.
Towards the year 1857 the Legislature of the Province of Buenos authorized by Law N. 147 the Executive Power to grant the concession of a railway line that would run between the Central Station (next to the Government House) and the Ensenada of Barragán. Located in a key sector of the neighborhood of La Boca, the so-called Casa Amarilla was the third station in that pioneering broad gauge stretch (1,676 m).
For his record, the photographer, with excellent criteria, placed his heavy outdoor camera at the top of a building, a compositional technique that allowed him to cover -which panoramic shot- this corner of the south located at the crossroads of the current Martín García avenues and Almirante Brown. The first rescue of him includes the transit of some means of passengers and cargo, such as modern imperial trams powered by electricity, coexisting with traditional horse-drawn carriages.
On that summer noon the camera lens rescues for posterity some horsemen -among them a policeman- passers-by and the classic street vendors. All obviously oblivious to the decision of the photographer who includes them in the shot. The awnings protect the windows of various businesses while, towards the deep south, we appreciate the old railway sheds that give name to the place.
|AUTHOR||FOTÓGRAFO NO IDENTIFICADO|
Subscribe to our newsletter to be updated.